Sunday, August 2, 2015

5 Days Old

Mom and I went today to see Blaire and spent most of the day with her! She slept most of the day, but the nurse let me hold her! This was my 3rd time so far and by far the most amount of time I've gotten to hold her. I was "allowed" to feed her at 2pm and 6pm. She slept through the first feeding and so almost all of it went through the feeding tube. She gets to first try the bottle and after 30 minutes of eating whatever is left in the bottle goes through her nose.
She is still under the lights but her levels have dropped and hopefully will be off the lights tomorrow, Monday! Once she is off the lights, she can be held as much as... the nurses will let us. We had some annoying nurses last time around who would not let us hold Blake but this time, I know better how to be adamant that I will hold my baby. =) And, I have an awesome husband who knows better how to be assertive and get what his wife needs =D 

Tomorrow the docs will be decreasing Blaire's dose of Morphine as well. Today she was accidently stretched 6 hours between a dose and by the time 5 hours hit she was getting fidgetty and more sensitive to sounds. Even though she was more symptomatic, she was able to wake up for 30 minutes and be alert, rather than sleeping alllll day like she had been when the dose was 4 hours apart.



Mom took pictures while I held Blaire when she was asleep. Right as mom took the picture, Blaire moved her arm up and covered her face. I sent the picture to Dad because he always had Blake cover his face for pictures. I tried finding one of Blake but was unable to find it in my mass of photos! =D

After a while, Ted & Elaine were able to come visit Blaire. She slept the whole time but it was still good time together with Blaire!

At her 6pm feeding, Blaire finally woke up. Her meds at the time were stretched to 6 hours and so was not so sedated. She stayed awake for a full half hour! Her eyes were still pretty yellow but that should improve as the lights continue to help her. She wasn't interested in taking a bottle at all. She only wanted to look around. Instead of feeding her right at 6 like I was supposed to, I held her and talked to her. The nurse wanted me to stick to the schedule but Blaire was completely uninterested in food. I figured it wouldn't hurt to spend some time with her instead of forcing a bottle on her. The tube would do for this feed.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




 Blake is on the left & Blaire is on the right.
Both these photos were taken when they were each 5 & 6 days old =)
I thought Blaire resembles Blake a ton but as days go on, she is looking less and less like him!
Call me crazy, but I think the feeding tube taped to their faces is TOO ADORABLE!!! =D
They both got to spend days under the blue lights. Even though Blake was 8lbs 7oz, I feel like he looked larger at this age than Blaire does now @ 9lbs and some oz, even though she's got all the rolls!


 


 When Mom and I were leaving Blaire today, the baby in the next bed was clearing out his lungs quite well, agitating her so she was unable to sleep without figetting. When I held her hand, she calmed down. As soon as I let go, she got all figetty again. So, I put the 'boba' in her hand to clutch like a finger and I shook her hand a little as if I was moving and she calmed down. It worked until the neighbor started increasing his cry and then she started moving again. It was a good idea but didn't last too long =)


1 comment:

  1. Blake and Blaire definitely look like twins in these pictures :) We're praying for the whole family!

    ReplyDelete