Wednesday, December 17, 2014

5 weeks 2 days

Music in my ear all night, I slept better than the night before. I barely woke when the nurse came in. I did wake twice with major foot pain though. My nurse gave me a Norco and that barely took the edge =( I sure needed Joseph to come rub my calf because trying to rub my calf with my opposite foot does not work! I was almost in tears when the nurse came in at 3 to give me drugs.
Turns out I'm here till tomorrow... I was too low yesterday so I have to get a little higher. LOL! Looks like I might go back to all the rates I had at home!  My doctor came in this morning and talked about my levels and how she was ready to adjust things again. She wanted to adjust my morning basal because yesterday I was high after breakfast. I told her, "My basal has been perfect in the mornings for the last week, I'll stay at 80 til Noon. I usually eat a late breakfast so I know that 1.45 is accurate. Shouldn't we change the carb ratio from 1:18 down to 1:15?" She said "No." So much for listening, right?! I told my nurse after the dr left, "Oh well. I'll do it her way for now and see. She might be right, but time will tell." I ate my breakfast with the same 1:18 (instead of my suggestion 1:15)and the new basal of 1.5 ... and hour later I was high! HAHAHAH My nurse said, "You were RIGHT!!!! It wasn't the basal! It was the carb ratio!!!" It was quite a funny moment! It will be interesting to see what the doctor has to say about that. When I asked her about the odd ratios from yesterday, being dependent upon the amt.of carbs rather than the timing of the meals, she proceeded to lecture me of why that was wrong and wondered why I had such a strange way of thinking... I replied, "Well, I thought it was strange too but that is what the other doctor told me to do!" She commented,"All the orders come from me and that's not what I told you to do." "Well, it is what the other doctor told me to do. I'll change it now to what I've always known it to be, dependent on the timing of the meals."
I've been cooped up in this room with my roomie for almost a full day now. She is from India and VERY hard to understand with her thick accent. I think she is annoyed today because she keeps having to repeat herself! haha She is a talkative person though. I asked my nurse if I was free to roam the hospital. I need to walk around for my back and foot not to hurt...and my ears... haha I went up to the NICU and spoke with a nurse about doing a scrapbook page on our experience here in 2012. Then, I walked down the long hall to the "Surgery Waiting Room" and created my own digital scrapbook rather than doing a paper one. I was gone a little over an hour. When I came back my snack was waiting for me! I saved it to have a larger lunch though. Mom called and we had a nice chat. My back is hurting again. A nerve is being messed with because pain meds and ice packs don't hardly make a dint to the pain.
Here is some more irony for you: Yesterday I was under 100 all day. Today, my levels (with dr's changes) have been 136, 193, 176, & 195... So much for those changes! It's hard to sit back and let them do their thing when I know I can bring the levels back down!
I called Medi-Cal to see if they covered me with insurance yet... The lady was giving me the chat about how it takes so long to do this and so long to do that and wanted me to drop off a pregnancy verification at the local office... When I said I'd been hospitalized because of having a high risk pregnancy, she changed her tune and said a verbal pregnancy verification was enough and to call back and check status on Friday. Uh Yeah.... Guess I found the trick to light a fire under their bootays!
Levels were better in the afternoon, but I did go low once. I'll be changing that basal tomorrow. Joseph came in the evening and stayed for a few hours. My back is killing me again with the shooting pain down the front of my leg. My roomie left so I have the room to myself again... I can listen to my music without headphones!
Praying I go home tomorrow! I'm ready to go back to (3"- foam- on- top- of- my- mattress) comforts of home and FOODS! I think when I'm admitted again, whether its for having the baby or before, I need to invest in a foam mattress to bring with me.... or ask for a specialized bed... =)

2 comments:

  1. What is the goal for your sugar levels? 80-100?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goal is 70-120 as long as I'm not having low symptoms. In that case, I'd try to run 90-120.

    ReplyDelete