Friday, February 13, 2015

13 Weeks 4 Days

Yesterday I had 2 doctor appointments. Mom babysat Blake and Dad went with me. First was my OB appointment. It took the docs at least, if not more than, 20 minutes to figure out which insulin changes needed to be made. We made one change but it was very minimal. First, the doc wanted me to change my 4pm basal up. 0.05. I said, "No way. That is the one you guys changed last week which landed me taking the Glucagon 3 times! That stays right where it is." Over all, the doc said I'm doing well and don't have to come back for 3 weeks!! Normally, being a diabetic, I would be seen every other week at a minimium! 

That morning, earlier, my foot wasn't hurting bad at all, maybe a 2 or 3. Once I got to walking on my foot, once we got to the offices, then my pain jumped to a 6. When I was called back, my pain was a 7. When the docs came into the room they asked how I was doing and I stated that I was at a level 8 and rising. While they were debating over my insulin rates in the hallway, my level peaked to a 10 and I was barely able to fight the tears. I hobbled to the otherside of the room where my purse was and took a Tylenol. I was trying to Not take the Tylenol because I had my foot appointment an hour later. Everytime I have a foot appointment, it's either a good day (pain-wise) or I'd had to take meds because of being unable to stand the pain before appointment time. Within 15 minutes, the Tylenol kicked in enough to be fairly comfy and I finished my appointment.

When I got to the foot appointment, I told the doc when he came into the room that my foot was "currently like a level 3 because I had taken meds. 30 minutes ago I was in tears though because the pain. I tried to not take the Tylenol because I hate coming to this appointment and feeling fine." As he was feeling around on my foot at that time, he had said, "Oh pain or not, I can feel a difference between your feet and I can feel the inflammation here." He then went on to tell me that I have a "Bruised Bone" which means the outside of my foot/ankle bone is intact but it is broken or fractured in the bone marrow inside. On the MRI he can see where it is bleeding to try and heal itself. He said that walking with this pain is equivalent to the pain walking on a broken bone. "The MRI verifies your pain and I will forward the report to your OB's so they know that you are dealing with a LOT of pain."...{ ... I kinda took that as maybe he didn't really believe my pain until he saw the MRI and maybe my OB's don't either? ...} ...  He told me that treatment is taking it easy for about 3 months and that should help. I stated that "I have been taking it easy for 10 years. What if I went completely off of my foot for a few months?" The only reason he said that wasn't a good idea is because being pregnant, I'll need my balance for walking and caring for a newborn, and because I'm currently chasing a 2 year old... We all know how easy Blake is so that will not be a problem. And a newborn? They stay where you lay them! haha. I will continue appointments with this doc during my pregnancy and if things don't improve, once I have the baby, "even that very week" I want to start on the steroid treatments or whatever else he has to get me out of pain. He agreed that was a good idea and I have a follow up appointment in 2 months. 

We all know how easy Blake is so I don't think being on crutches will be that much of a problem in taking care of him. It will be easier than crawling all over my house! And a newborn? That should be fairly ease because they stay where you lay them! haha. I am asking some people to help me out with things like grocery shopping. I'll be making some calls tomorrow for that =)

So for pain, I have 3 bulging/herniated discs in my lower back, 2 slightly bulging in my upper back, Sciatic pain down my leg, a bruised ankle bone, and tendonitis on each side of my right ankle. (The tendons that stablilize your foot to keep it straight from rolling in or out when you walk.) and headaches off and on due to high BP's that were doing great until I missed a dose of my pill =(

On the way home, Dad and I went to get me a set of crutches from the Savers store. I will be on crutches for most of the time for the next 6-8 weeks to see how I do... It will be very challenging to stay on the crutches because I know that I am fully able to walk on my foot and that I just should not.
I'm so thankful to finally have a diagnosis of this pain. And I'm very glad the docs will understand the type of pain I'm in on a daily basis.

Today I've had to take two Tylenol in the early and morning. This afternoon has surprisingly been very good. I did have a headache from an afternoon low so I iced it and took a nap after dinner. Maybe with staying off my foot completely I won't have to increase the Methadone!

I will hopefully be starting a back treatment with my chiropractor next week as well.
I'm praying for major -feeling better- by the end of next week!
Pray with me!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like an answer to prayer. I'm glad you got your answer. Thank you, Lord! I'll continue to pray for you and baby....all of you, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thankful the MRI showed a problem that can heal. You just baby yourself and take it easy. Thanks for sharing all that you do. I'll be praying for a complete healing in your ankle and back, despite all these years of dealing with the problems. I thank God for your faithfulness to him :-)

    ReplyDelete