Friday, February 20, 2015

14 Weeks 3&4 Days

Mom has been in town the last few days to help me out. It's been a little difficult taking care of house and life while going massively low and being on crutches. She is staying with me til tomorrow so we can watch out for lows together =) She has been so helpful with taking care of Blake and making food/cleaning the kitchen. It's been much better to ask her for help rather than hop around/crawl around and struggling to get things done. I'm so glad to have her here for these days!

My BP has been high so my docs have me on BP meds that I started 2 weeks ago. Just this week my legs and feet have started to swell. My pants have gotten pretty tight and that's super frustrating! I've been propping them up at night which is a huge help! =)

I had an OB appointment yesterday and a medication change appt. today.
Yesterday's appointment was a special appointment made by Tuesday's L&D staff for my doctor to address the low blood sugars. At the appointment she ignored the papers I provided, which showed all my lows, and proceeded to try and increase my afternoon basal. I was adamant that I would not change that basal because for the last two weeks I had major lows resulting from that basal rate already being too high. She refused to pay attention. I did make one basal change but wasn't comfortable with it. Mom and I left the appointment annoyed and discussed the appointment with Joseph when we got home. I then emailed my doctor saying we were unhappy with the care in my diabetes and that I should not be having all these lows, my husband shouldn't have to skip work, and family shouldn't have to babysit me 24/7. I stated in the email that my new range will be 85-120 at all times and I will do my own basal changes at this point. I made my adjustments yesterday after the appointment and finally, the first time in 2 weeks, I stayed level all afternoon!!! It was wonderful! For quite a few hours Joseph and I researched new doctors to leave to just in case my doc wouldn't agree with our decision. She emailed back later saying that "We're working together and that sounds like a good plan." She comes across well, but in person, is very intimidating, demanding, and unsympathetic to the situation because of not paying attention to the facts.

Today's appointment went well and we made a slight increase to the Methadone for day time. My pain level has been pretty good but my foot hurts quite a bit during the day still. But, a level 7 pain max is better than a level 10 pain max! There has been improvement!

I'm still doing basal checks to make sure the new (much lower) rates are accurate. I was doing pretty good but then started dropping. So my rates are still too high! I'll be doing another basal rate check tomorrow!

Baby's heartbeat is strong and yesterday B was quite active on the ultrasound =)
Only a few weeks til I can feel that movement!

I've been sitting here chatting with my mom. My foot started to hurt and within 10 minutes my pain went from "eh not bad" to nearly unbearable, literally rolling on the floor trying to find the right position to lay in, rub my leg or whatever... I crawled to my room to get a Tylenol from my headboard and went to sit in my chair again. I then asked mom to get my two ice packs from the freezer and a towel. I placed my foot between the two packs and within 10 minutes, my pain has dropped in half... No bueno, but I'm very glad it has been a fairly short pain period (30 min total) than a long one!! =D Improvements, improvements!

No comments:

Post a Comment